Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My motivation

First of all, I am the kind of person who loves projects. If it is something I can do that takes effort, I am ready. I love hard work and seeing results. I also believe that I can do anything.
In the past I have built furniture, tilled yards, erected fences, painted houses, installed sprinkler systems, and mucked horse stables. I love learning new skills and feeling the sense of accomplishment associated with work.
So when a friend asked if I was interested in helping with her garden, I was very excited and immediately agreed. Along with the garden, she has decided to raise chickens (I might have encouraged that a little bit...). With her husband gone for the next two months she really needed some assistance.
My wonderful husband already has a lot on his plate. He has a very stressful and intense job which occupies a lot of his time (and includes being on call 24/7). He is happy with his life and family but really has no interest in additional duties. He did a lot of work on a ranch growing up so he is very handy but not especially willing. Unfortunately for him, he is stuck with me...

So basically I signed us both up for some very hard work. In the past few weeks we have transformed a shanty into a chicken coop (painted red like a barn) and a weed-choked lot into a garden. I am revelling in my work while J is looking forward to the end. Being the wondeful man I married he has stuck by me but recently pleaded "Amy, please don't make any more friends with big projects!"

No comments: