Sunday, July 5, 2009

New life in ND



Ok... I finally feel like I live in a house, instead of walls held up by boxes. After a one week wait in TLF (not quite the 1-3 months we were told) we were given the keys to our house. It is a refurbished (old) house but with a spacious yard and basement. Not too bad considering our last house had zero storage space.


We had originally decided to rent a house off base but apparently heating bills range from $500-700 per month to combat the regular -50 temps, and the city of Grand Forks is quite a commute from the base. Also, trying to find a house to rent with 2 large dogs is a struggle all by itself. We will definitely be buying a home at our next station, but this one will do for now.
Lately my life has consisted of unpacking, playing with Ally, and building...


Here is my latest project. With a little help from Josh (and some materials from the Self-Help store, Ha, Ha!) I constructed a shelving unit to hold my growing stockpile of food! (P.S. Don't attempt this without a nail gun, it would have taken forever!)
Ally has settled in quite nicely and is very mobile. She now has a vocabulary of 10+ words, including "more" and of course "dog". She loves following the dogs around and poking at them. Thank goodness I have been training them since they were puppies to put up with abuse because they sure get a lot from her! I try to teach her to pet softly, but she just repeats "soft" and pokes them in the eye...
My ward has been very friendly, about half military, the other half are college students. At church today I counted 10 pregnant women and 8 babies younger than Ally. Definitely a family ward. My only complaint was the lack of a book club, so I started one.
For the most part, I think we can be happy here. Josh is enjoying his new job and I have met some nice people. Oh and the gym on base is awesome! Now I just need a new gym buddy to keep me motivated.


7 comments:

Mary said...

You go girl!!! Your food storage selves are awesome. I need some room and the time to do something like that. I am glad that you are settling in and that you did not have to wait a long time for a house.

Lani said...

Glad to hear you're getting settled up there! I'll try not to be bitter about the weather here this winter :). And those shelves are very cool! Good job!

Jess said...

I TOLD you you guys would like it there! 10 pregnant women! I know people said stuff about our ward, but geesh. Obviously either something in the water or nothing to do in the winter? p.s. Watching a movie by myself right now. I miss you! And the kids are totally addicted to Sonic the Hedgehog. Well.... for them anyway. They'd still rather be outside so I'm greatful!!

Gailey Family said...

Glad to hear that you are getting settled in. Hey can you send me some of the water from up there?...obviously water here is not doing it for me, sounds as if the water there may be more potent. :) Sure do miss you, take care and keep in touch!

Heather said...

Amy those shelves are great and Ally saying 10 words ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! you realize that is so amazing most 2 year olds don't even have that kind of vocab.
Glad to hear all is well up there!!

Mary Peterson said...

I miss you Amy! I'm glad to hear that you made it safe to ND. I'm also glad that you are in a house that has more space. Cool shelves! You are so talented.

Amy Tree said...

Ally says:
mama dada dog toe alldone hi more duck milk up soft Lia star
she also repeats everything I say, but those she says by herself.