Sunday, October 10, 2010

deployments are good for my marriage

Because we are being audited by the IRS (EEK!) Josh printed out his deployment information from his career so far in the military. He has been gone a total of 873 days! I get so many comments from people about how they would not survive if their husband was gone as much as mine (or at all), so I have compiled a list of reasons that separation is good for a relationship:

appreciation of spouse - I really notice all the things he had been doing around the house once he is gone, and all the things I no longer have to do when he comes back. I find myself saying "thank you" when he takes out the trash or changes a diaper. On the flip side, it is also very nice to be appreciated for all the things I do on a daily basis.

development of personal skills - hobbies to pass the time; I have coached sports, taken up sewing, canning, etc.

independence - knowing that I CAN do everything around the house that needs to be done. I can also set a routine and do things at my own pace.

friendships - the opportunity to spend time with other people and develop those relationships that are nice to have but are not a priority when he is around.

correspondence/communication higher priority - phone calls become very important and exciting to receive, so do emails and video chat. I find myself scheduling time to talk to him, or dropping what I'm doing when he calls; putting my marriage as a top priority, where it should be.

lack of controversy - it's difficult to argue with someone over something mundane when conversations are short and far apart. The time between conversations usually puts things in perspective.

timeframe for goals/resolutions - homecoming is a great end goal to work for. I lost all my baby weight during one separation period by setting a goal and working towards it.

career support - I show that I support my husband's career when I can build a life wherever he is stationed.

asking for help - on occasion, I have had to break down and ask for help. This is a very humbling experience, but it gives other people that chance to serve.

absence makes the heart grow fonder - while separations are difficult, there is no greater feeling than being reunited with the one you love!

Now I'm not saying I like having my husband gone. I definitely love having him around (most days!) but I don't fall to pieces being alone. I had a lot of practice being apart while we were friends, engaged, and since being married.

3 comments:

wendy said...

Amy - great post! When Nathan leaves I make littles lists for myself of things I miss when he's gone.

That way, when he comes home and starts driving me crazy, I can pull out a list and say - oh, yeah, I can't watch scary movies while he's gone... or whatever.

deployments still stink...

Steven and Chelsea said...

Amy you are so great at making the best of every situation :) I'm always impressed how well you do when Josh is away and I can tell your cute little family is complete when he gets back!

Elle said...

i love this post. even though i don't have to go through being alone, it helps me want to build those things no matter what my husband does. and now i know who to call when i need a tire changed ;)