Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stress of moving

I have always thought of myself as a 'bloom where you are planted' kind of person.  I moved a lot growing up and never really had an issue with finding new friends or adjusting to a different environment.  Life goes on about the same wherever I have lived.  We eat, sleep, go to school, work, and spend time with friends. 
As I have mentioned before, we are moving to Germany soon.  I like to think that I am pretty prepared for living overseas.  We requested this assignment, so obviously we want to live there.  I actually spent the majority of my childhood in Europe, so I am really looking forward to it.  Living overseas does not scare me one bit.  I have every intention of travelling, learning new languages and soaking up the culture. 
The difference is, that now I (instead of my parents) need to be responsible for organzing the house, scheduling dates, planning and packing, and finding a place to live.  The last one is really stressing me out.  I have heard horror stories of people waiting in a hotel for months and not being able to find a place to rent.  Living on-base is not even an option for us since the waiting list is so long, but I am especially worried about finding a place to rent that is close enough to the base that J won't have a super long commute and that allows pets.  I want a good neighborhood for my daughter and a place where she can start (hopefully German) preschool.  I don't know why I am letting it get to me so much since I really can't do anything about it until we are actually there. 
The best part about the whole situation is that my sister-in-law (who was a realtor in a previous life) and her family, have just moved to Germany as well.  They are stationed at a different base, but are close enough that we will have family to visit for holidays, etc.  Closer than we have ever lived to family since we have been married!  I have high hopes that she will give me all the information I need to make the transition smoothly, and possibly even scout out some homes for us. 
I really have not had an issue with anywhere else we have lived.  I have found jobs, finished college, and started a family while following my husband's career.  I am really looking forward to this next adventure, and I'm sure I will enjoy every minute, once I find a house!

1 comment:

The Pearce People said...

Ah the thing in life we have no control over are the things that drive us crazy!! You think by now we would have figured out life is much more enjoyable when we stop stressing because things usually always work out. Good luck!