Wednesday, October 19, 2011

opportunity missed

House hunting in Germany is a PAIN!  (that is why I sent my husband ahead to do it without me)  Apparently I should have been here as well...
J found a great house, in a great location, and signed a contract.  When he took it into housing, for some various issues, it was denied.  I'm still not sure why the base housing office can deny a house, but whatever.  So he tried to negotiate with the landlord over a few details that would allow us to rent the house.  We really really wanted it, because of the location, price, etc.  did I also mention that it was brand new?
The landlord and realtor one day just quit returning phone calls and rented the house to someone else.
Yesterday, I happened to meet the person who got our house.  Apparently the landlord fixed all the issues in our contract and gave it to this other family.  The kicker is, this house is a duplex, with an American family living in the other half.  Not just an American family, a family in our ward!
I admit that being pregnant makes me a bit emotional, but I cried yesterday with the knowledge that I could have had a friend right away, had we gotten that house.  I cried knowing that all those days I was throwing up and feeling miserable, stuck in my house without a car, I could have been meeting people and spending time with others of my faith.  I cried because I wonder what I did to deserve missing out on such a great opportunity that would have helped my transition here immensely.

1 comment:

Steven and Chelsea said...

:( Here's to hoping something EVEN BETTER will come along soon!